- page 2
Greenmount Cemetery Association
Back row left:Ed Lohmeyer, F. A. Kordsiemon, G. Ledig,
H. Meyer, F. W. Niekamp, C. D. Behrensmeyer, F. J. Wessels,
J. H. Julfs, H. G. Garrelts.
Middle row left:W. F. Westerbeck, Karl Krause, S. H. Pieper,
P. Kramer, H. Haupt, W. Arning.
Front row left: Aug. Stork, J. F. Pieper, K. Eppinger,
Altheide, F. H. Peuster
June 16, 1875, a committee consisting of August Meyer, William Westerbeck,
Peter Bastert, Henry Stoetzel, D. H. Merten, A. Klusmeyer and A. Behrensmeyer
was appointed by the congregation to procured the land. The purchase
which contained about fifteen acres, (which is now Blocks 1- 5) was
purchased from Philip Schwabedisse.
Action in setting up the cemetery was rapid.
The first board of directors consisted of F. H. Kehlenbrink, William
Winkelman, D. H. Merten, Adolph Behrensmeyer and Frederick Pankoke.
In 1897 it became necessary to purchase additional
ground. Thirty-one acres were added on January 7, 1897 (which is now
Blocks A - R). At this time, for administrative purposes, the Greenmount
Cemetery Association was organized and received its charter on February
23, 1897. Provisions were made that only members of the Salem Church
may join this Association to which full control of the cemetery was
granted by the congregation on January 1, 1903.
In the beginning, the original cemetery land (Blocks
1 - 5) was named Green Mound Cemetery and the remaining land was named
Greenmount Cemetery. About 1910 this separation was discontinued and
the name Greenmount Cemetery was used exclusively. Since that time,
additional purchases of land have been made and the Cemetery Association
owns approximately 100 acres with 50 acres currently open for burial.
Copyright © 2001
Greenmount Cemetery. All rights reserved.
Send comments and bug reports to Webmaster