| || |
The Cemetery Expands
Main entrance as it looks today.
In 1875 the original land purchased for the cemetery was 15 acres.
In 1897 an additional 30 acres of land was purchased. Seventeen of these acres were developed for cemetery use. This area is now Blocks A through Block R. The remaining 13 acres extend south of Block R to Cherry Lane. This has been farmed each year.
In 1936 the association purchased 11 acres just north of Blocks 1 and 4. This was developed for cemetery use and opened for sales in June of 1954. This is currently referred to as Good Shepherd Acres or Blocks 6, 7, 8, 9, and 15.
In 1977 a little over two acres of land was purchased south of Block 2. This was developed for cemetery use and opened for sales in January of 1982 as Block 10.
Under developed land for future use
In 1960 a purchase of 10 acres was made on the north and west end of the cemetery. Currently this land is under development to be opened at some date in the future. When this is completed and opened for sales it will be Blocks 11, 12, 13 and 14. Additional land purchases were made in 1955, 1956, 1960, and 1969, which total 30 additional acres. Currently this is also used as farmland.
As of 2001 The Greenmount Cemetery Association owns approximately 100 acres of land, with 45 acres open for cemetery use.
It is estimated that more than 2,100 interments were made between July 23, 1875 and March 31, 1906. From April 1, 1906 to December 31, 2000 approximately 22,200 interments were made, which brings the total number of interments to more than 24,300.
Copyright © 2001 Greenmount Cemetery. All rights reserved.
Send comments and bug reports to Webmaster