C. Simon Kuhlenhoelter
Kuhlenhoelter was born in Oberwuesten, Amt Schoetmar, Lippe-Detmold,
Germany on 9 April 1820. He came to America in 1852. His first wife
was Minnie Miller and his second wife was Laura Meyers. By his first
wife, one child survived infancy, Mrs. John (Minnie) Nolan. There
were three children from the second marriage: Laura, Clara and Ada.
Kuhlenhoelter was one of the first graduates of the Theological Seminary
of the Evangelical Church in Marthasville, MO.
On June 6, 1860, the Rev. Simon Kuhlenhoelter of
Cumberland, Indiana was unanimously elected to be Pastor of the Salem
Evangelical and Reformed Church in Quincy. At that time, the church
had only 47 voting members. (Only the male heads of families could
vote). He assumed his pastorate in Quincy in August of 1860.
Rev. Kuhlenhoelter was instrumental in the growth
of the congregation. In 1862, a parsonage was erected; in 1863 a 20-foot
addition was built to the church; in 1864 the church was furnished
with a pipe organ. In 1868 the church property was enlarged by the
purchase of the adjoining lot on State Street.
On June 8, 1875, under the leadership of Rev. Kuhlenhoelter,
the Salem congregation decided to buy a tract of land on South 12th
Street, just outside the city limits, for the purpose of providing
a burial ground for its members. This was the beginning of what was
to become the Greenmount Cemetery.
An increasing number of immigrants came after the
Civil War, especially from Westphalia and Lippe-Detmold in Germany.
Rev. Kuhlenhoelter did not neglect this opportunity to enlarge the
congregation. The church membership grew to such an extent that there
was a need for a larger church building.
On June 25, 1876, the corner stone for the new church
was laid. The new church was dedicated on September 23, 1877. This
church building is still one of the most beautiful houses of worship
in Quincy. It can seat l,500 people. The steeple, which has three
bells, is 228 1/2 feet in height and is a masterpiece of architecture.
This structure was the work of Mr.
C. D. Behrensmeyer, contractor, whose watchful eyes insured
excellency of material and workmanship.
Pastor Kuhlenhoelter suffered a paralytic stroke
during the early church service on Christmas Day, 1881. He passed
away on January 1, 1882 and was laid to rest in the Ministers' Circle
at Greenmount Cemetery on January 5, 1882.
Simon Kuhlenhoelter was the first minister to be
buried in the circle area. Other members of the Kuhlenhoelter family
are also buried in this area.
following information was taken from the family stone:
Pastor Simon C. 9 April 1820 - 1 Jan 1882
KUHLENHOELTER, S. Wilhelmina 10 Feb 1822 - 16 Nov 1865
KUHLENHOELTER, F. P. Simon 21-Sep 1863 - 1 Jul 1864
KUHLENHOELTER, M. Ada H. 16 April 1878 - 30 July 1880
KUHLENHOELTER, Maria A. 6 Feb 1861 - 16 Nov 1865