The Name "Greenmount"
southeast of Greenmount Cemetery
1875 when the cemetery was founded, it was named Green Mound Cemetery.
It was a private cemetery for the members and families of Salem Church
and Lutheran Churches of the area, especially the St. James Lutheran
Church. The original cemetery is Blocks 1 through 5.
1897 a new section of the cemetery was opened which consists of Blocks
A through R of the current grounds. This was named The New Greenmount
help meet the needs of the community, it was decided to open the Cemetery
to the general public. On February 23, 1897 the State of Illinois issued
a charter for the "Greenmount Cemetery Association". This was done for
administrative purposes to separate the cemetery from Salem Church.
the early records, the two sections had separate Burial Rights issued
using the names Green Mound Cemetery and New Greenmount Cemetery. This
continued until about 1909 when the separation was discontinued and
the name Greenmount Cemetery Association was used solely for all records.
© 2001 Greenmount Cemetery. All rights reserved.
Send comments and bug reports to Webmaster